why hello friends

Monday, February 27, 2006

I'm Back

After one week and 254 pictures later I have finally arrived back in the Netherlands where the language is more familiar and there is a heck of a lot less sausage. It was a heck of a trip, and I know all of my readers out there have been anxiously awaiting a new post, and I have in inclination that this one will be a doozy. We began our travels Monday at around 8 in the morning with the head count coming up two short. We waited. It was soon 8:30 and I looked to my friends and we were appalled that we were leaving our dearest Tymona and Jen (Pumba) behind. Apparently they didn’t make it to the bus station and we thought for sure they missed the trip and were going to spend the week at home, morning their lack of punctuality. Yet, we were quickly relieved to see that the bus was not headed for the interstate but instead in the direction of their house. Apparently their alarm failed to go off (They didn’t know the difference between AM and PM I guess) and they had 5 minutes to get ready before the bus arrived at their home. They didn’t look happy. I found it hilarious though, mainly because they were the two who adventured through Amsterdam with Bryan and I because they missed the train in Zwolle then too. Oh Tymona Pumba. Anyway, our travels began, all people were accounted for, and the conversations began to fly. Yet, we all know that a trip is not a trip until you get to have your first stop and pick up junk food upon junk food for not other reason except for the fact that you are on a road trip and therefore must eat junk food. We entered the gas station and to my pleasant surprise my eyes crossed this beautiful wonder.

I had not seen such a specimen since I left the States, and to see one in the wild here in Europe was a truly chilling experience. I quickly grasped the object only to realize to my dismay that it was not chilled at all. Who cares I thought, the natural goodness of such a thing will overcome its lukewarm attribute. I quickly payed the unreasonable 2 dollars for the bottle and held it up for the world to see upon exiting the store. Others saw my purchase and quickly ran in to attain one of their own, and joy filled the bus in anticipation. Yet, sadly that anticipation weaned and it was soon realized that Mountain Dew in Europe does not taste like Mountain Dew in the States. We should have realized this, I mean in a place where so many things are different why would this be expected to be the same? The sadness overcame me.

Prague
Prague was an amazing city with wonderful architecture and a ton of history to keep one in awe. In fact, on our way to Prague we drove on the road built by Hitler for his tanks (the autobahn) and stayed in an old communist building now turned hotel (not nearly as impressive in reality as it sounds:-). It was just really weird that such everyday things were built by such people in history. One of the coolest things I saw in Prague was a Jewish graveyard. Apparently the Jewish heritage in this region highly treasures this graveyard and therefore people continually wish to buried at the site despite the fact that there is no room to expand horizontally. Thus, the graveyard extends vertically and buries people on top of others because according to Jewish custom the bones of the dead are not to be disturbed. Thus, others are buried above them without the lower graves being dug up to make room. To date there are 12 layers of the dead buried in this small area, and the gravestones are all viewable at the surface. It was an amazing sight and really made you examine the intense priority tradition has in the Jewish heritage.

Also, on this trip I turned the big 21. Not many people can say they spent their 21st in Prague so that immediately made it a good day. Plus, that evening we got to go to a black light theater which is honestly one of the most visually stimulating experiences I have had in years. It was absolutely crazy. The black lights made the dancers glow, and therefore the wires and other things were completely hidden from view as the dancers slowly glided through the air and things magically appeared and disappeared into the darkness. It was wicked awesome, if you have a chance I highly suggest attending a show.
Berlin
Berlin was also an amazing city. To tell you the truth though, if they didn’t just dump freaken 60 billion euro into building projects the city would not look that spectacular. Now it is in intense debt, but hey it looks really cool! Anyway, we walked through the Holocaust memorial which had all of these different steal pillars representing death, some short and some as tall as 13 feet.

We also went to their city center and explored the beautiful modern architecture. This is what they call Berlin’s Mount Fuji which towers over an open shopping plaza.

and this building is actually hung from the metal bridge built above it because the historical building below it could not support the new structure or be demolished, it was impressive.

As you travel through the city you frequently come across a line in the road, sidewalk, or wherever which is made of two bricks side by side. It represents the former line of the Berlin wall, and a section of it remains standing to remind the city and the world of the former separation.

In fact, the new city center is built in no-man’s land to demonstrate the new unification of Berlin. The Brandenburg Gate was also included in our tour of Berlin as it was a former entry point for all those entering Berlin so that goods could be taxed. This was built long before the Berlin wall or either World Wars. It was a giant structure, and more beautiful than in any picture. I just can’t believe that all the things I see in pictures and tour books I am actually seeing in real life. Another interesting thing about this structure is that a Starbucks is located right behind it! It was very funny to see all the American tourists racing to the Starbucks instead of taking pictures for once, but hey, its Starbucks!!!!

Oh yea, recognize this hotel? It is right by the Brandenburg Gate too and it is the hotel from which Michael Jackson dangled his kid. Useless fact I know but I’m a tourist and it got me to take a picture.

We also went to the top of the Reichstag which was architecturally amazing, it was awesome to see and overlook the city of Berlin from.

This is what I call old church new church, and is a Jewish synagogue damaged by the war and a monument built beside it to remind us all of costs.

Wow, that was the whirlwind tour I took of Berlin in one day. It was busy but a lot of cool stuff was seen. This trip is absolutely amazing so far and I can’t wait for it to continue.

2 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you didn't die. I thought for sure, being that you hadn't posted in a long time, that the gnomes had gotten you. Glad to see you are back, missed you at the first SERVE meeting. Jason and I ate Little Ceasars in excess because of it.

Mark

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Josh Fey said...

hey! this is your old neighbor,, but its awesome, i have been to berlin and been where you have!! awesome huh? glad you are having a great time!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home